Secondary School Parent Support for the Arts
We are the provincial subject association for Music.
Be sure to connect with our two other ARTS provincial subject associations for more resources and parent support:
The Ontario Art Education Association (OAEA): for Visual Arts
The Council of Ontario Drama and Dance Educators (CODE): for Drama and Dance
By becoming familiar with the Arts curriculum, parents can better appreciate what is being taught in each grade and what their children are expected to learn.
Critical Thinking/Critical Analysis
- Sir Ken Robinson (short 3 min clips): Why Creativity is Important in Education and Do Schools Kill Creativity?
- A Virtual Field Trip to the Aga Khan Museum: A part of the Music and Muslim Culture project created by the OMEA in cooperative with the Agha Khan Museum: https://www.omea.on.ca/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/QRListeningMaparoundtheAKM-1.zip
- Consider getting to know more about the role of music in Indigenous cultures! First, read this article about appropriate listening to music from First Nations, Inuit, and Metis cultures: Reconciliation Music. Check out the Indigenous Music Awards page to listen to the 2019 nominees, and use the critical listening project from this Aga Khan unit to organize your critical thinking and analysis!.
- Visit this Ontario Edugains site to check out some music-related financial literacy resources. The link to the Lesson is currently down on the Edugains site. We are working on this. Please access the Financial Literacy Lesson HERE.
Reflecting, Responding, and Analysing
- Check out the numerous resources at ArtsAlive, the National Arts Centre of Canada’s Arts Education website.
- Try the Toronto Symphony Orchestra education page for a wide range of listening opportunities.